Backing Plates

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Backing Plates

Post by BALANCE »

Tell me, does anything here look iffy?

S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I'm not sure if these qualify as "iffy," but I see a few things I would have done differently:

1) It doesn't look as though the core around the chain hole is reefed out and backfilled, or otherwise sealed off.

2) Why so many little individual backing plates? I think I would have gone for fewer but larger. What's up top? I assume there could be cleats or other high-load items.

3) Unsealed (?) plywood (although it does look like decent plywood). I'd probably use some type of FRP board (such as the red or green from McMaster-Carr).

4) I see rust around/between the threads and nuts on the center item. To me that means that water might have been leaking here, and given that you didn't do the job yourself, who knows what kind of attention was paid to the core in those areas?

5) Now I'm really nitpicking, but it looks like there may be (white) sealant between the backing blocks and the underside of the deck. This may be just my preference, but I like to put sealant between the deck hardware and the deck, but not between the backing block and the underside of the deck. If it's leaking it's time to re-bed, and I'd rather know that than have water lurking betwixt and between.

6) All that said, nothing looks like it's moments from failing, so depending on what else is on your list, it may not need to be first priority.

Rachel
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I presume that's an uncored deck, or a very thin core, judging by the section revealed at hawse hole (right term?). What are the bolts for, winch and/or cleats? What's that lonely little pan head screw?

Looks like body washers, rather than the size usual for the bolt dia. (Body washers are thinner and larger.) I think I see that at least one is dished in by crushing the wood block. Two blocks are/were wet. Bedding goop shows on only one of the 7 bolts.

On one hand, you haven't told us that things are falling off. On the other hand, if you are looking for a project, I think all those blocks are way too small, and the half on one is not very functional. I'd prefer that the groups of three bolts share a nice large aluminum, stainless or fiberglass backup plate. I'd have eased corners, too, because I hate to bleed all over while assembling things. I'd have made a mess with bedding goo; maybe your PO was neat and there really is enough goo.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Oh, they are holding little things like, a bow sprit and a windlass. No cleats. They are on the bulwarks.

The core is plywood. Don'tcha just love the arrows in magic marker telling which way towards the bow? *above*

S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

BALANCE wrote:Oh, they are holding little things like, a bow sprit and a windlass.
Oh, well if that's all it is...

:shudder:
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Simpson Lawrence HiSpeed....I love mine.

I should have taken some pictures of my mounting last weekend. Looked like yours, but no ply, just washers!

I am building 1/4 al plates for it this week and mounting tomorrow.

I'll take pics then.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Ric, it's a great windlass (had it on previous boat). What type of chain are you using? I'm sure you know it calls for BBB 3/8 but know that it also can handle G4 5/16. Lighter and stronger. Just an FYI.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32